Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Complements - project

Complements 
project about 80" x 80"

from the outside railing of my house...at least the colors look right in the natural lighting. 
(Please excuse the weights on the top holding it in place.)

It started like this. I was actually nervous about cutting such giant pieces of solid fabrics.  I also was in short supply of a few colors like pink, and turquoise.  So I went ahead and cut with fabrics I already had and decided it looked better with the slightly different colors (though you may disagree).  And, then I decided to mix it up a bit more with a few of the other colors, the red, and yellow, and lime green....
LOVE it!!


Then I worked one color at a time to build up blocks of pieced strips to fill in between the solid stripes.

I love the scrappy look of all these different prints!! The cutting was not the fun part, so many fabrics to pull, cut, and then re-fold.  Sometimes I like to fussy cut, so that I can showcase something interesting in one of the prints even if the scale is small.
Or this one with the cat and birds!
And the hummingbird! So sweet!

I sewed the narrow strips in groups of 10 to make a block.  Each strip is generally cut only 1" wide, though there were a few exceptions! 

More shots of all the pieces!  There were A LOT of pieces!!
Then I sewed the blocks together, and finally sewed the long lines of blocks to the solid pieces.  Easy and fun!

A last shot of a 'behind the scenes' photography shot, I hung the quilt top on my deck railing for the first photo.  When I went back upstairs to take it down, I saw how beautiful it looked through the rails!




No comments: