Tuesday, September 22, 2026

No. 29

No. 29
55.5" x 40"
Today's work features that horrible threat to relationships, miscommunication. The one that creates hurt feelings that linger even after the miscommunication is discovered and corrected (if you are lucky enough to find out...). And it all hinges on the ability to trust, something created from birth to about age 1. Simultaneous parallel talking without listening surely cannot help.
 
No. 29 was inspired after I made No. 18. I think the words that we say have a strong impact on relationships, so I wanted to do another version. What does this piece say to you?
No. 18
The design process started by arranging the paper cutouts on top of No. 18, to try to see what size the piece would be. It's a good starting point, but needed just a few adjustments.
After the top was completed, I tried another round of design...
Yeass! This works great! On with the quilting. I did not have backing fabric for this one, so I cut up some fabric from my stash and made a floral patchwork on the back. Here is a shot of the machine quilting in progress.

And one of the machine quilting of the stem after the applique was finished.

The handquilting, and the 1/4" tape for marking the lines. I really like using this tape because it bends around curves (unless they are too small), and you can keep moving it until you get a line that you like.
 
A chaotic scene from the back as I attach the hanging tube...
And last, a detail shot.

No comments: