Sunday, July 28, 2024

Where the Walls Have Eyes, Part 11

Where the Walls Have Eyes, Part 11

I was looking for a way to more literally and visually show the loss of privacy when I remembered this expression.  So I decided to put eyes on the insides of the walls, and ceilings, and floors of the project.

How?

I tried a few things, but this is the one that stuck! (ha ha!)

Mistyfuse (to the rescue again!) on the back of white fabric.  Draw the eyeball with a pencil.  Outline it with the black posca paint pen. Yes, it can leak through the fabric, so I put a magazine under it.
And then cut them out with scissors.
I did not have perfect cutting technique, so after the center circles were cut out, I touched up any of the black edges with the black posca pen.  I used this magazine cover to keep from getting paint on my table.  It used to be a frog...sorry, frog!

There were never enough eyes....

Here's a few of them with the centers cut out, one on a white table background, and one on a green fabric background. 
                                                 
I had fun arranging these shapes into patterns before I used them for my project!

Time to add them to the little quilted squares. All it takes is an iron and a few teflon goddess sheets (so they won't stick to the ironing board cover should there be a slip up). 

I love how the irises of the eyes lines up with the holes in the blocks! Also, these are the fronts of some of the blocks that need eyes, but there were also many times when the backs of the little quilts needed eyes.  

This gets more interesting as I begin to build the blocks into their cubes and you look inside, through the holes, to see eyes there!!!

Next week, the problem with the holes and the eyes, and how I almost didn't build this thing! Stay tuned!




No comments: