Sunday, July 21, 2024

Untitled, Part 10

Untitled, Part 10

It began with a concept, the loss of privacy.
And morphed into a big project.

I started forming a very long list. A list of events, places, and ways to loose privacy. I drew a distinction between ways to loose privacy in public, and ways to loose privacy in your own home where there is supposed to be an expectation of privacy. There are so many privacy losses related to the internet that I knew that was the focus of my project. I had to question: who is doing the 'looking'. Is it friend or foe? It kind of haunts me.

.......Cambridge Analytica, algorthims, hot mics, third party cookies, social media, doxing, hackers, cyberattacks, hot webcams, malware, spyware, data mining, backdoors, trapdoors, the dark web, etc......

I started seeing my computer as a tiny little window that has the potential to let an entire world of unsavory characters into my home. Scary thought!

That started with....wondering if I could build this:

Ah, yes! It works. This was constructed from leftover blocks from previous projects. It is quite structurally stable, but I noticed that the overcast stitch made the pieces slide out of alignment. 

My final project will be a giant cube made up of these tiny cells. Visually my project vaguely reminds me of my first computer, the Apple Macintosh cubey thing. My structure will be composed of 7 x 7 x 7 little cells. I debated about having individual cubes sewn together, or having the little cubes have shared walls. I opted for the shared walls. Also, the big cube structurally references the myriad of links we follow when we are on-line. And the holes in the walls, and ceilings, and floors remind me that if I can look out, someone else can look in.

I also did not know if the little fabric quilts would be able to hand the weight of a BIG cube. Would they collapse in on themselves? So, I decided to build another prototype, a 1 x 7 column. I could stand it up and see if it could handle the weight, and the force of gravity. This also gave me an opportunity to test a different joining stitch for all the pieces. I opted for the ladder stitch. 

This is the bottom, (or the top), with 4 sides attached to the base.  Next, I will fold them up and sew the sides.

Previously, I was only attaching two pieces at a time.  Now, because there is a floor/ceiling on each cube, some of the seams will require attaching 3 pieces at a time. I came up with an altered version of the ladder stitch which worked quilt well.  Unfortunately, I am using 6 strand embroidery floss, which means a needle with a big eye.  And, I am hand sewing through layers of thick quilted blocks, 3 of them. It is physically difficult to have the hand strength to poke all the holes and pull the needle through. I am limited by how much I can do in a day without causing tendon injury.
But, the colors! The colors are fun! And the column is beginning to take shape!
I finished the prototype, and stood it on it's end. Success! It was able to hold the weight easily! Sadly, it was not stable as a single column, but this will not be a problem for the actual project.  All the columns will be sewn together, and they will give each other structural support to not fall over. My questions have been answered by these two prototypes and I can proceed with the actual project! I am also fully aware that the REAL thing will have many, many seams where I am joining 4 little quilts together in a single seam. I am not looking forward to that part!

With all those holes, you are probably wondering what it looks like inside? Yes?


Next week, I reveal the title of the piece, and add the last artistic element that pulls everything together!


No comments: