Saturday, July 12, 2008

Juicy Fruit

Juicy Fruit
19" x 19"
A bit of humor and rebellion. I took Pamela Allen's class, "Think Like an Artist" about a month ago. Our assignment was to make a still life, in black and white. Rebel that I am, I had to add some color, just couldn't stand it, not have any color at all....ugh! For the composition, I also wanted implied movement in the captured "still" frame. Hence, the orange, spontaneously filling the juice glass. I know it's a bit subtle (I think the squirting juice still needs to be more easily seen), but it cracks me up!
 Also, the only hand made batik, the black and white fabric for the orange, has a starring role. Congrats little orange! I used window screen fabric for the placemates, and colored threads to hold down the edges of the applique.

No comments: