Sunday, August 30, 2026

No. 25

No. 25
35" x 54.5" 
 
This piece is a reminder that the relationship I have with myself, affects the relationships I have with others. Working towards self knowledge and acceptance helps to center me and ground me. This one also reminds me of the expression, "bloom where you are". 
 
The quilt.
Every time I look at this, the top half feels smaller than the bottom half. I have foolishly counted the blocks multiple times to confirm that they are the same size. And, so, I learn more about colors and their relative weights....
 
A closeup of the quilting:
If you look closely, you can see that the quilting threads are different colors in different directions. I always worry a lot about what color of quilting thread to use. And, I usually find that it doesn't really make too much difference....perhaps I am wrong about that?
 
The handquilting:

I tend to pull the quilting thread too tight, which causes massive tension problems. And so, I use the hoop to keep the tension even. As for circles, one of my favorite ways to mark them is to draw them on freezer paper and iron to the surface of the quilt. After quilting, they peel right off, and then I can cut it to the next smaller size, and iron it on again. The hand quilting is probably my favorite part of this process and I am always sad when I finish it.

 

The path not taken.

I love this color palette! I tried inserting these into the blue hump shape and it looked terrible. It was so terrible, and so wrong, and yet the colors are so pretty. It surprised me by taking a different tone than I wanted for the piece. So, they did not get used. I did save them, perhaps for a future quilt?

No comments: