Monday, August 26, 2024

Eulogy for my mother, Mary Lou York

Mary Lou York
1940-2024

I loved my mother so much and I am completely overwhelmed now that she is gone. She was my number one supporter in my life and my work. She bought me my first sewing machine and got me started in quilting. She never tired of showing my work to anyone and everyone. And no matter how busy she was, she always had time for me and her grandchildren.

My mom loved dominoes and dancing, cooking and gardening, making money and spending money. She played the piano and was an excellent seamstress. She was always fashionably dressed and perfectly coiffed. She loved to wear beautiful clothes and eat delicious food. She loved to laugh. She loved her friends and her family. She was a real ‘people person’. She adored her grandchildren and she loved her cats. She had a great wit and loved to travel. She was smart and loved to read. She also loved discussing books in her bookclub, even if she didn’t read them, or so I have been told. She worked full time (until the return of the cancer last fall) as a real estate manager and had a savvy business sense that served both herself and her agents well. She was a mentor to so many. She had a generous spirit and loved giving to others, which included people she never met. She volunteered her time and energy to many fundraisers and worked on weekends at the Assistance League of Austin. She loved to cook and host parties in her home. She was resilient and strong. She had a fierce can-do attitude and the agency to follow through.

In the end they said it was the metastatic breast cancer and the fall that killed her. However, without the cancer, she would not have been on the meds that made her bones so fragile, her body so weak, and her balance so bad. Or maybe the cancer did all that? Cancer is a hostile monster of a disease.

1 comment:

Sewgirl said...

So very sorry for your loss. I still feel like I have lost a part of me every time I think of my dear mother who passed several years ago.