Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Felt Purse

Felt Purse 
I got this kit from ArtGirlz last year at the Houston Quilt Show and gave it to my daughter, then 7, for Christmas. I think it was a bit too much for her even though she loves the idea of sewing. So it sat, and sat and sat, waiting and waiting. Then came the unfortunate opportunity. Daughter had to go into the hospital for surgery and spend the night. My anxiety was reaching a peak, even though it was a routine procedure, it is still scary, and I anticipated a difficult recovery for her (and it was). Meanwhile, the purse helped me. I sat and stitched while she was in surgery and the time flew by. And it was a ready to go project, so I didn't have to think much about what supplies to bring, needle, thread, and scissors, maybe a thimble. Oh, yeah, and let's not forget the glasses! And the added benefit, was the gift to her of a cute little purse for her to play with when we went home. Love it! The front side has the flowers, the back side shows the zipper pull and hearts. If you get a chance, visit ArtGirlz here. It's hard to pass up their wonderfully creative projects and supplies! (No affiliation.)

3 comments:

Melissa P said...

Thanks for the reminder not to forget the simple things in the midst of busy lives. Handwork is good medicine for the anxious mind.

Margeeth said...

I once read an article about someone who started embroidery for just the same reason you made the purse.
The purse looks lovely for a child. I hope it has no zipper, I once bought a similar purse for my son to sew, he spent hours on it and then the zipper broke....

Rachel Parris said...

Kathy, I hope your little girl is "on the mend" by now. Surely nothing is more nerve wracking than a sick/injured little one. The purse will be a happy reminder of her mother's love.