Thursday, July 23, 2009

Ruffle Dress

Ruffle Dress
 She picked the fabrics (I helped a bit). The pattern is another Butterick (here). I thought it would look cuter with the ruffles, so I added some. It took all day, but completely worth it. She even said, "Thanks for sewing this dress for me, mom!" Big smiles all around!

I had this brilliant idea... I decided to put fusible on the back side of the facings. It was supposed to have interfacing, but I didn't use any. I thought that once I sewed the facing on and turned it to the inside, I could just iron it in place and it would never be a problem after that. The real trick is getting it turned and trying to make it lie flat enough to do the ironing. It was a mess. Fortunately, I was able to pull it up several times and then iron it carefully into place. It was NOT a time saver. But, after I was finished, I was really happy with the way it looks.

She has requested pockets for the next one, and I'm dyeing to use some of my fabrics for that one (like the pun??)!

3 comments:

mathea said...

Kathy you Rock!!! The dress is awesome. I can imagine that she is totally stoked to have it.

Vickie Hallmark said...

That's adorable!

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

Love the dress Kathy.
Wish I had a little girl to sew for again!
On the next one how about trying a double binding like you owuld use to finish a quilt instead of facings? Easier (IMHO) and it can also be a design element.