Earth Stories, Part Five
One last counting story. I decided to count the attic. I had boxes and boxes of teaching curriculum stored up there, along with a number of other things... But, I didn't get to it until summer. And the summers in Texas are really hot, and even hotter in the attic. The heat was so intense, I was only able to count for about 10 minutes before I had to escape to air conditioning. And then it took hours to recover from it. I drank water while I was there, but it didn't help much. So, I am sure that my number is artificially low. For example, instead of counting all the papers, I counted how many files of papers. A lot of unused items came out of the attic and on to recycling, or donation. I am pretty sure the heat is destroying most of what is up there anyway. In retrospect, I wish I had done the attic first, in the cooler months.
On to making the quilt. I was planning to make a floor plan of my house, and then use tally marks to represent the number of objects. It would be fun to color code, either by location or type of object. I also thought it would be really interesting to see how many objects were made from non-renewable resources vs. renewable resources, but I didn't collect that information during the count. Then as I thought about what the quilt would look like, if it were me, I would be super curious about what all those tally marks would actually represent. That's when I decided to tell my viewers what was in my house. That's when the project went to a mostly text image. It was also an incredibly uncomfortable experience to share that information, which is partly the reason I decided to push my comfort levels and just do it.
We were required to make two quilts. One was 72" x 72". The other was 12" x 14" in a vertical format. I started on the big one first. I pieced together two pieces of white fabric to make the correct size, and then drew lines lightly with pencil every 1" across the entire surface:
Here's a photo of a section of the large piece hanging on my design wall. It shows the beginnings, with just the lines.
Then, to finish up, I quilted it. I quilted in straight lines on top of the pencil lines I had drawn previously. Then I used a simple white facing to finish the edges, a hanging tube and a label on the back. All done!
For the smaller quilt I used the same technique, but a slightly different concept. I worked with my original inspiration of Manufactured Demand, from the Story of Stuff. I focused on the issue of bottled water. It is an incredible tale of needless waste (no judgment here! ha!). You can see the video here. And, I am pleased to say that the city of San Francisco has passed a law to ban the sale of bottled water. Yay for small steps! For the quilt, I listed lots of water brands, and then put a message behind the words, and added a small embellishment. For now, here's a close up of the small quilt..
Thanks for stopping by. Hope that I have not needlessly bored you will my tales of counting!