Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Quilt Festival Pet Project Postcards

Quilt Festival Pet Project Postcards


I really wanted to make some postcards to help raise money for this no-kill pet shelter.  But honestly, I just didn't think I would have time to do it.  So this weekend, my daughter and I got out all my scrap fabrics that had fusible already on the back.  I gave her the scissors, a piece of white fabric (postcard sized), and told her to fill the space, and then press with the iron.  She is already familiar with using the iron and fusible applique, being all of 11 years old, and she set to work....and kept asking for more.  I am almost embarrassed that she made more than I did, but it is all for a good cause!  After she finished, I added some stitching to her work, and then converted the "top" into a finished postcard.  We were both super pleased with the results, and then I made two more.  Mine are in black and white, almost stark and minimalist.  For these animals the chance to live is just as simple as that, life or death.  It seemed fitting.  And, so I share with you our results.  And hope that you have a chance to buy one or more at the Houston Quilt Show to help with the fundraiser.  Or possibly you might have time to make some of your own and send to Pokey Bolton.  See project details here.  And your postcards do not have to have animals on them, they can be of anything!

4 comments:

Lisa Chin said...

Fabulous! Your daughter is following in your footsteps and doing a great job of it. I need to get to work on mine again - put them aside when I went out of town. So little time, so much computer!

Barb Forrister said...

I love that you found special time to do this, especially with your daughter. How fun! They are wonderful!

Nancy said...

What a special project for the two of you. And the results are wonderful!

Kathy York said...

Lisa, Yes, I get the computer is quite the time sink, hard to get away. Barb and Nancy, thank you! We did have a great time. Also, one of the cards she made, she wanted to keep, a jellyfish. It was very cute and she is taking it to school to show her art teacher. I LOVE that she is so proud of her work!