Saturday, October 08, 2011

Nine Houses

Nine Houses
9" x 12"

Building on a theme, I am busy creating some smaller works.  I am hoping to sell these little gems at the Houston quilt show.  There is a special opportunity for Texas-SAQA members to exhibit and sell their small works, I am hoping to send in the maximum of 3.  You may recognize the fabrics I have been working with?  See this post!

I am completely dazzled by the simple shapes and colors of this little quilt.  It is mesmerizing to me!  And what is not so obvious from this flat photo, is the texture of the little quilt.  Each black circle is a little hole in the house block.  The hand-stitched circles literally stand apart from the black background creating a small amount of real depth.  I just love it!  And the embroidery floss is such a nice complement to the heavy machine quilting.  It adds a certain texture and warmth to the pieces....a theme you will see repeated in many of my quilts as I work with these original batiked blocks.

p.s.  Thanks for stopping by!  I am struggling with a good name for this little quilt, maybe something more interesting than Little Houses?  If you have a suggestion, please drop me a comment.  I will definitely consider it!

3 comments:

Erica Spinks said...

I like the name "Community". The houses look like a cluster of homes, such as you might find in a rural community.

Anonymous said...

Neighborhood

M-R Charbonneau said...

"It Takes a Village..." Love your work, Kathy!