Saturday, April 03, 2010

Urban Circles

Urban Circles 
49" x 49"
 It is done, but is this really quilted? Technically, quilting is any stitching that hold the layers together (the top, the batting, and the back). I didn't use a normal quilting stitch for this quilt though, I used satin stitch, see close up photo below. I like the way the white lines form a grid and go with the white satin stitch around the circles. It just looks more complete or whole to me. I asked my friend, Connie, if anyone would think I was trying to hide poor piecing skills with the satin stitch. She thought I was nuts. "No one in their right minds would ever satin stitch an entire quilt to hide their piecing skills" she exclaimed. Okay....so I set about with satin stitching all the seams. It looks pretty and crisp, and I admit, I do LOVE it! Wondering how much thread I used?? Almost three 500 m spools of white on the top thread....and that's only counting the quilting lines, not the appliqued circles. It took a total of 6 hours to quilt this way, but I had to borrow Connie's Bernina. My wonderful and faithful Pfaff is just too slow.

11 comments:

sophie said...

Your satin stitch quilting created a great design element. I don't think I'd have the patience. I salute you.

Patrick Lose quilts a lot of his fused appliqué quilts with satin stitch and it's a great look for his whimsical designs, too.

Stacy Hurt said...

WOW! Great job! I like the satin stitch too & kudo's for borrowing a machine that could handle it!

Diane said...

Great Job! The satin stitching adds an awesome graphic addition.
6 plus hours well spent!

lindacreates said...

Yes, it definitely is quilted! Fabulous job. Amazing.....

Vivien Zepf said...

Looks great. You're slowly but surely encouraging me to give this whole satin stitch approach a try.

Brandi said...

I think it's a fabulous look...it's hard to resist the itch to quilt it though!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, I love the way the lines form the grid and frame each design. Yet, the lines are not too bold to let the background colors stand out. Another great quilt!

Frieda Anderson said...

Too cool.

Kim Hambric said...

This is an absolutely stunning quilt! I think the satin stitch is a wonderful way to complete it.

Rachel Parris said...

Once again you have created something special. "Good grief, Charlie Brown," that is a LOT of thread!

Connie Hudson said...

It turned out great! Love the look but then I knew it when I saw it beforehand. And of course you're the best at satin stitching! Connie