Thursday, March 25, 2010

Fifty and Female and Fearless

Fifty and Female and Fearless 
36" x 48" 
 I am thrilled to announce that my quilt has been juried into the invitational Beneath the Surface exhibit curated by Jamie Fingal and Leslie Jenison and Dinner at Eight Artists. This is my second year to participate. Last year the exhibit was Edges and opened at the International Quilt Festival in Long Beach and then traveled to Houston. I believe this year's venues are the same. We are extremely fortunate to have two sponsors, Moore's Sewing Centers and Brother International. The quilt is 100% batik. I batiked the yellow central figure first on a yellow whole cloth. Then I etched the design lines and dyed it. Next I made a big stash of blue fabrics by batiking thin lines on commercial blue and turquoise fabrics, bleach discharge, and overdyeing. Each sample was then trimmed and fused into place, in a reverse applique style covering everything except the yellow figure. Lots of machine quilting, everything but the letters are heavily quilted every 1/4 inch. The title comes from the book Silent Passages, which has come in very handy as I enter a new decade and face new challenges. What inner resources will I need to make the passage?

8 comments:

Gerrie said...

I love this. Is the figure from a photo of you? This is very dynamic as you are.

Kathy York said...

Yes, another self portrait! My son took the photo for me.

Rachel Parris said...

WOW Kathy! I would have known you a mile away. I am so amazed to be in a show with you.

Deborah Boschert said...

Me too! What a fabulous quilt. I am so eager to see more details. I'm just thrilled to be in the show with you.

Vivien Zepf said...

This is a great quilt! Oooh, I hope someone takes lots of pictures of this exhibit because it looks to be amazing!

Anonymous said...

Kathy, when I saw this quilt in Long Beach, it took my breath away and then made me want to cry. It is so strong and powerful and declarative. I love it! Then I wandered over to the SAQA exhibit and was immediately magnetized by two other quilts that turned out to be yours too! I am now a major Kathy York fan! Your strong yet playful work mesmerizes me. Jamie and Leslie witnessed my joy! Thank you for sharing your inspired talents. Linda Bannan

Kathy York said...

Linda,
Wow! Thank you! It means a lot to me that my work is connecting with you! I really appreciate you for writing me. Wish I could have seen the exhibit. I will wait until it arrives to Houston which is a little closer to home.

JerriPenney said...

IN LOVE WITH THIS....both in concept and execution! heart.heart.heart.