Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Red and Pink
18" x 24"

color, rich and saturated, evocative,
softened with stitching,
machine and by hand.
and brought to life with simple shapes

It feels good to be working again. This is my first quilt of the new year. Yes, it's small, but a palpable start. I love repetition in design. I cut circles around the center of the window crosses for the center of the flowers. Then I used the windows in the inner border, and once again repeated the cross shape in the hand stitching on the background of the flowers (see closeup below). I'm saving the edge finish for a workshop. I am teaching at the end of February on finishing techniques for small quilts at the Austin Area Quilt Guild.

I have to laugh that the red and pink IKEA couch is still inspiring me. Maybe I should call it the IDEA couch?


10 comments:

Norma Schlager said...

What a happy color combination and I love that touch of turquoise.

JYA Fiberarts said...

This is a very cheerful quilt.....and you're right, it goes with your couch!

Unknown said...

This is a wonderful quilt! Pink is my favorite and you make it just yummy.

Darlene said...

The turquoise really makes it pop! And I love that couch.

Connie Hudson said...

Love this work! It shows me you're in a really good place right now. Of course the couch is an added bonus and always an inspiration.

kathy york said...

Thanks everyone!

How could I make any quilt without some bright aqua?? Boggles the mind!

And regardless of the outcome, it is a good place to be when I get to work. And I always feel lucky when something turns out happy and cheerful!

connie said...

What a nice cheerful quilt for a very dark and rainy morning here... I love the color combination. I am just loving aqua with so many things these days......... Thanks for sharing.

Julie Bagamary said...

What a fun and cheerful piece.

sweetypie said...

I REALLY LIKE THAT,THATS LOVELY

Vivien Zepf said...

Fun!