Friday, February 24, 2006

Swimming in a Sea of Buttons


Swimming in a Sea of Buttons
16.5" x 18.5"
Private Collection
 This little quilt also went to Small Wonders last year! It won 2nd runner up!
This quilt is about finding beauty in the mundane but necessary chores of daily life, the 'sea of buttons'. The fish on the side remind us that we are not alone in facing the challenge. The golden circles were printed with sockets from the garage, pencils, toothpicks, paintbrushes and various lids.
This quilt has about 300 buttons.

4 comments:

allie aller said...

I remember this piece from Small Wonders! I remember thinking how well it was conceived and executed.
Nice to have you in the bloggosphere...I'll check back in often!

Pat Dolan said...

What a fun and funky quilt! A celebration of life, creativity, color and more. Glad you got a blog so I can see your work!!!

Sarah Ann Smith said...

Kathy...I'm not much of an embellisher...I tend to love thread and line, but this is a fantastic use of a ton of buttons! And your use of color is great. It isn't often that I right-click to see larger versions of quilts on blogs, but I'm up to four (so far...) on yours......

Congrats on getting in to all those shows and placing so well. I'm so glad you've started this blog to share your work,

Cheers, Sarah

Stacy Hurt said...

So wonderful!