Wednesday, August 11, 2021

SAQA, opportunities for exhibiting my work

Studio Art Quilt Associates

I have entered multiple SAQA exhibits only to have my work rejected multiple times and by multiple people (the jurors). For this reason, I am super delighted to have a piece finally juried into the new collection additions on their website. This quilt is also two-sided and will be in my solo exhibit of two-sided quilts, Both Sides Now, in Houston at the International Quilt Festival this fall!

One Earth  47" x 47"

Having an opportunity to exhibit my work is the main reason I joined SAQA and still remains the most motivating factor in my decision to remain a member. The numerous rejections do not stop me from trying.  You can't win if you don't enter! 


I consider my frequent entry fees a "donation" to the operating costs of the organization.  These costs are fairly hefty and SAQA depends on a number of income streams to pay for all their programs and infrastructure.  One of the most popular sources is the annual auction of  12" x 12" art pieces made by their members.  It is a great way to give back.  It is a small enough piece that it doesn't require too much.  And, your work gets seen by not only SAQA members, but also, other fiber art collectors.  I didn't donate this year, but have done it several times in the past. You can see many of the wonderful quilts, and the details of the auction HERE. The quilts I have included above are just of few of my many favorites!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kathy,I arrived at this site by seeing an absolutely fabulous quilt you made but you stated they're taking credit for it. If true, that's twisted cuz it's beautiful & you do indeed deserve the credit. Good job! Keep it up.

Kathy York said...

dear Unknown,
Thank you. Unfortunately, I am not sure which incident you are referring to, but I appreciate your kind comments.