Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Rejection

Rejection
This is my quilt, Blue Towers.  It was recently rejected from Tactile Architecture, an exhibit that debuts at the Houston Quilt Show (aka, International Quilt Festival).  
I am posting about this recent rejection for many reasons.  One is that since I usually post about my successes, my readers might assume that is the whole story.  And it is not.  I get many, many rejections.  I enter a LOT of quilts into a LOT of venues.  My motto is "You can't win if you don't play".  Not that I am always looking for a win, I'm not. (a side note: I do really LIKE winning when it happens!!) However, the point is to hope that my work gets to be SEEN by a larger audience.  That makes being an artist meaningful to me.  First to make the art, and then for it to be seen.

To be seen on my blog is truly wonderful.  However, blog readership has really gone down in the recent years.  I'm not sure if it is my work, or my blog, or just a general trend?  And the other note is that my work looks really different in real life as compared to a small image on a computer screen.  I suspect that is true of most art.  That's why I work so hard to get it out there.

How do I feel about this rejection?  This time it just didn't matter that much.  A lot of people I know ruminate about the WHY part of the equation.  I don't usually go there, or if I do, I don't stay long.  I like my work, or I wouldn't have entered it.  I am very critical of my own work, and usually my critique is more valuable to me than what other people might say.  I will say that being rejected by a juror whom I respect does give me cause to go back and re-evaluate my work.  I did not get that opportunity this time.  For some odd reason, Houston prefers to keep their jurors' identities secret.  And this is where I must lack some serious empathy because for the life of me, I can't imagine why?
 
Being a juror is hard work.  It is difficult to take a bajillion photos and pick only a few that will work as a cohesive exhibit.  Not an enviable task.  I look forward to seeing the quilts that were selected.  And, it is unlikely that I will agree with all of the jurors' choices, but it was their choice to make, not mine. Without any knowledge or details, I usually just assume that my quilt didn't fit in as well as perhaps some others did.  And, I am okay with that.

As for Blue Towers?  I am VERY fond of this quilt.  I love the colors as they are so rich, vibrant, mellow, and lush.  I love the patterns in this quilt.  I love the quilting in this quilt.  I love the edge finish whipstitched by hand in black embroidery floss.  I love what this quilt means to me.  For me, it all works. And, this quilt is lucky enough to have already been to the Houston Quilt Show in part of another exhibit. 
Until next time....

4 comments:

Lynette said...

Very nice thoughts about show rejections and keeping it in perspective. It's hard to not take the No's personally when you're new at entering quilts for shows, and it's good to know that seasoned showers get lots of rejections, too.

Mary Lou York said...

I always feel there has been some mistake. Of course, I always feel your work is the best!! Love, Mom

Cathy said...

I feel better now, 'cause I had a quilt rejected (I think "declined" is the word they used.) from the same show. And I really liked mine, too. Love yours! -- Cathy Fussell

Silkartist said...

I love your quilt...its colors, images, total package. I learned early on in my art career about rejections. Every person has an opinion, too bad they all don't agree with ours. Ha! My first rejection left me unstable, not wanting to enter again, & pretty much devastated. But life goes on and I learned... Doesn't stop the hurt though, next time, you just get a little more tuff skinned. I juried a major IL art fair a while back and found out how hard it is. The other juror and I went to the same art school which taught us well in all media, so we had a handle on the art... Needless to say people who got in each year because the same couple jurors let them in without giving other (even better artists) the chance to sell their work, were so mad at us! Anyway keep entering ...!