Friday, August 30, 2013

Eye Spy with My Little Eye

Eye Spy with My Little Eye
6" x 6"
Yes, I am playing with words in the title.  This little piece captures a sweet moment in time when I used to play I Spy with my son.  He was about 4 years old when I took this photograph of his eyes.  I was in a creative zone when I realized that I wanted to put his hand print directly on the piece and it was late at night.  Sorry!  I carefully carried him sleeping into my studio, dipped his hand in paint and made several copies of this block.  Some were used on this group quilt (here and here).  I then washed his hand, and carried him back to bed.  Shameless!! all in the pursuit of art!  He didn't even remember the next day.  I'm not entirely sure he even woke up at all!

Meanwhile, I was looking for something else in my studio when I found this extra piece.  I decided to add some fabric to the borders and wrap it around a 6" x 6" canvas.  It looks good to me!  And while it is a such sentimental keepsake for me, our house already abounds with too many of those.  So, I took a picture, and added it to my Etsy Shop (Store has been closed). Maybe it will appeal to another mother who also played I spy with her child?

2 comments:

LynneP said...

It is a lovely piece! Great story too.

Shelley Whiting's art said...

I love this piece. It's very funky and eye catching. Wonderful work.