Monday, July 09, 2012

Great News: Art Box csa!

Great News: Art Box csa!
community supported artists
Update: this site has been closed.

Today is the official launch of our new creative endeavor, Art Box csa!  Eight artists have joined together to create small works of art at affordable prices.  The art is grouped into boxes and available as a full set of 8 pieces or a half box of 4 pieces.  I am so proud to be included in this distinguished group of artists!
We are:

The idea sprang from community supported agriculture; paying a fee and having a basket of vegetables and fruits delivered to your doorstep.  However, instead of produce, you will be getting small works of art from us!  Each artist made 8"x 8" pieces that are framed or wrapped on a canvas the same size (and 1 1/2" deep).  See mine here.

I was inspired by watching grackles in my yard.  Ready to play with a new technique of putting dye directly in the soy wax, I got busy and made a number of fat quarters.  It was so fun!  I just love doing this!  When you draw shapes with the wax, you are painting the color on at the same time!

Then the background was hand painted with thickened dye, and the piece was steamed to set the dyes.  After that I boiled the piece to get the remaining wax out, and completed the process with a wash and dry!

Next I cut the fat quarters into 4 pieces, pieced an aqua border around the central motif, sandwiched with batting and backing, and then machine quilted.  Last I added a lot of embroidery to the bird, which I just LOVED the texture it created, and did some hand quilting to finish off the piece.  Last, I stitched the corners and snugged it into a canvas, stapling on the back.  Click on the photos to see them larger.
side view

front view
Sorry, there are a limited number available.  You can purchase these directly from our CSA website.

6 comments:

Leslie Tucker Jenison said...

Kathy, I'm in love with your Grackle pieces. You captured their goofy essence so well in these pieces!

Robin said...

What a fabulous idea and collaboration of gifted artists! I wish you all well!!

Vivien Zepf said...

Very cool and exciting project -- and the artwork looks fabulous!

Kathy York said...

Thanks Robin and Vivien! We are pretty excited about it!

HollyM said...

What a great idea! And such an interesting technique. I love the colors and textures in your pieces!

Kathy York said...

Thanks Holly,
You are so nice! I really like the texture too, makes me want to pet it. :)