Sunday, September 18, 2011

Bridge

Bridge
29" x 45"
Yeah, I have finally finished this little art quilt that I started the summer of 2010! It has been patiently waiting it's turn to be completed, and 4 more are waiting in line.  I sincerely hope that you will like it too! This quilt is inspired by recent events and some not so recent events.  It is simply amazing to me what can be accomplished when we work together.


This quilt was made with what I call artist created fabrics. The blocks are made from dyed fabric which is batiked, then bleach discharged, and eventually overdyed. I like using lots of combinations of colors with a mostly bright palette. The blocks were fused in place and then machine quilted. I used a lot of hand embroidery in both the flowers and the stitching around the apartment blocks. The thread is all six strands of embroidery floss and requires a rather large needle to pull through the entire quilt sandwich, a bit physically taxing, but totally worth the effect.   Enjoy!

3 comments:

M-R Charbonneau said...

Wow, that is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing it!

Unknown said...

Love the colors...love the movement, love the sentiment. Dang Girl! You've done it again! Lisa Q.

Martha Ginn said...

Kathy, you are amazing! I've been an admirer of your work, and just read about your bike accident and injuries in February. It is inspiring to read about your perseverance in spite of setbacks like this! And home-schooling algebra? I'm even more in awe. I had a total knee replacement in March and my husband died in July (after 10 years of Parkinson's. So I'm trying to rediscover who I am.
Martha Ginn