Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Urban Landscapes Itajame

Urban Landscapes Itajame
Step one:  clamping on the circles and removing color with bleach discharge. 
I really like the way they look.  The pale backgrounds in contrast with the bright circles, and especially with the contrast of the leaves on the trees. 
Step two:  adding color back in.  I will select some of these and clamp the circles back on and overdye. 
I am making a twinkle quilt (be sure to scroll down just a little) ala, Malka Dubrawsky. 
Ever read the back of shampoo bottles?  Rinse, repeat?  I will be doing a lot of that in the next few weeks.  Mostly happy that this is something I can do, perhaps even therapeutic, in more than one way!

2 comments:

Michele/TextileTraveler said...

Kathy, I think we're on the same wavelength. I've been clamping and discharging for a week now, but I can't get it to work; the bleach is seeping under the clamped circles. I'm starting to suspect my bleach is old and taking too long. Your pieces look gorgeous!

Kathy York said...

I had a learning curve too. My first ones looked terrible, for many reasons. Best results? Four layers of fabric, soaked with water before starting. I used four clamps on 4 inch circles. And I do use fresh bleach, and a fairly stout ratio. I don't bleach more than about 5 minutes.